BSC KUCHING: The verdict is out. There is a need for Day Care Centres that can provide holistic care for the sick and elderly with love, joy and compassion.
Pusat Jagaan Santa Clara, located behind Blessed Sacrament Church, held its Open Day on 18 May 2019 to introduce the services of the centre to people with elderly family members in need of compassionate care. It is run by the Sisters of St Francis of Sarawak.
As the Sisters staying at Santa Clara are part of BSC community, we wish them all the best, and hope they can count on the laity’s support.
Home of Santa Clara was originally designed as a home for the sick and elderly Sisters of SSFS. It was blessed and opened on 8 December 2001, with the extended new wing officially blessed on 25 November 2018.
The Home is dedicated to St Clare of Assisi, who left her noble life for a life of poverty, austerity and seclusion. Her motto was to Love God, Serve God and everything in it.
The Home’s Vision:
- For the glory of God and spreading of His Kingdom among the poor, the youth and the needy, we commit to serve joyfully, the elderly with simplicity and humility in an environment of compassion, love and respect.
- To provide a conducive caring facility with the hope of improving quality of life and upholding the dignity of all.
The Home’s Objectives:
- To provide a place where one feels at home. No elderly person should be like an ‘exile’ in their families. The elderly are a treasure for our society (Pope Francis).
- To promote respect and propagate a faith that illuminates the mystery of human life and enables one to enjoy life as a gift from God.
- To promote interaction among the elderly Sisters and the laity, sharing their experiences and enriching each other.
- To provide for the care of the elderly, inspired not only by our vision but also by the Gospel of Joy.
The extended wing now serves as a Day Care Centre that offers residents:
- Care, protection and rehabilitation
- Counselling and guidance when the need arises
- Occupational therapy and physiotherapy to maintain optimal physical and mental health
- Religious and spiritual care
- Organise activities to promote recreation either by the Home or volunteer groups
- Holistic nursing care
- Respite care and for recuperation
Applicants who are eligible for admission must be aged 60 years and above, physically independent, free from mental illness, and free from contagious or deadly disease.
For enquiries, please visit the Home at: Pusat Jagaan Santa Clara, No. 15 – 17 Lorong Stutong 2A, Off Lrg Lapangan Terbang 1, 93250 Kuching, Sarawak.
Photos: Stephanie Chua